Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Raven on his hoard - not grouted

this is a picture of some junk metal stuff that was found when a family member was metal detecting in Florida
I told him to keep his junk finds and I would use them in a mosaic

You don't have to go on a scavenger find to locate the above.  I used a lot of his stuff in the nest for the Raven.

I was having a hard time free form drawing the Raven.  So my sweet hubby drew him from a image I had printed out months ago.

The tree is tile that looks like wood flooring.  I used several colors of green stained glass, beads and some leaves off of some costume jewelry for the leaves and limbs in the tree.

The Raven is mainly beads.

The sky around the Raven is several colors of blue stained glass and some blue glass aquarium gravel.


The nest has resin poured over it.  I knew gluing down that much stuff into the nest would be a nightmare.  


This is the same technique used to do a free form geode - EXCEPT - for the geode, you need to form it on plastic, so you can peel it off.  Also, a geode would be continuous in a circle or wonky oblong circle.  I'm waiting for the silicone to dry before putting the rest of the tape at the bottom.


After the silicone caulk dried, I finished adding tape around the edges and made sure all seams were closed up.  I only applied a thin layer of resin over everything.  But, I did try to at least make sure it I streamed a thin line of resin as I poured over the top of the nest.  I wanted the things in the next to have up and down texture, but be smooth to the touch.

Once resin was poured over the nest and it dried..........nothing moved.  

Now waiting to be grouted.  The nest WILL NOT BE grouted.  Only the parts around the nest.


No comments:

Post a Comment